Each year the Indian River County Supervisor of Elections verifies candidate petitions signed by voters in Indian River County. Candidates who wish to qualify by petition must secure the required number of valid signatures in order to be placed on an upcoming election ballot.
Qualifying Method: Petition Process F.S. 99.095, Rule 1S-2.045
A person who seeks to qualify as a candidate for any office (excluding Municipal candidates) and who meets the petition requirements is not required to pay the qualifying fee, party assessment or election assessment.
Signatures may not be obtained until the candidate has filed the Appointment of Treasurer and Designation of Campaign Depository, DS-DE 9, with the filing officer.
- Candidates must use the Candidate Petition form, DS-DE 104, to obtain signatures of registered voters.
- The format of the petition is prescribed by the Division of Elections and shall be used by all candidates.
- Candidates are responsible for printing their own petitions.
- A candidate must obtain the valid number of signatures; equal to at least 1% of the total number of registered voters residing in the geographical area as of the last General Election.
- Only signatures of voters registered in the county/district represented by the office sought are valid.
- It is recommended that a candidate submit at least 10% more petitions than the required number to account for the possibility of invalid petitions.
- No petitions are accepted after the due date.
For petition guidelines, refer to the Candidate Petition Handbook provided by the Division of Elections and Rule 1S-2.045. The Florida Division of Elections Candidate Petition Handbook can be found on the Florida Division of Elections website.
The Florida Division of Elections website is elections.myflorida.com
Petition Verification Fee
Pursuant to Florida Statute 99.097, a cost of $.10 for each petition verified shall be paid in advance to the Supervisor of Elections unless the candidate has filed an oath stating that such charges impose an undue burden on their personal resources. An initial deposit to the Supervisor of Elections will be required.
Special District Petitions and Verification Fee
A Special District candidate must follow the Petition Process F.S. 99.095 and Rule 1S-2.045(listed above) with the following exceptions:
- Special District candidates shall obtain 25 signatures from voters residing in the geographical area represented by the office sought.