• Active Registered Voters:
  • Democrat:
  • Republican:
  • NPA:
  • Other:
  • Total:

Military / Overseas

What is UOCAVA?

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) extends federal absentee voting rights to Service members, their eligible family members, and overseas citizens.


Who is covered under UOCAVA?

UOCAVA covers U.S. citizens who are 18 or older AND active duty members of the Uniformed Services, Merchant Marine, or commissioned corps of the Public Health Service and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration; their eligible family members; and U.S. citizens residing outside the United States.


What is the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)?

UOCAVA citizens can use the FPCA to register to vote and request an absentee ballot simultaneously.  They can also use the FPCA to update their contact information.  Once completed, remember to print and sign the form.  You can request your absentee ballot be sent to you by mail, email, or fax.

FPCA Application

Where do I submit my FPCA?

If you are using the FPCA to register to vote, you must mail the signed form to the Supervisor of Elections office no later than 29 days before the election. If you are already registered to vote and are using the FPCA to request a absentee ballot, you can mail, email, or fax your signed form to the Indian River County Supervisor of Elections office.

Mail:  Indian River County Supervisor of Elections
4375 43rd Avenue
Vero Beach, FL  32967

Email: [email protected]

Fax: 772-770-5367


What is the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB)?

The FWAB is an emergency backup ballot for UOCAVA citizens who did not receive an absentee ballot from their state in time to participate in the election. For more information or to obtain a FWAB you can visit FVAP.gov.


Where do I check to inquire if I am registered to Vote?

You can check your voter registration status by using the Online Voter Information Tool.


When Will I Get My Ballot?

Election offices are required to send absentee ballots at least 45 days before a federal election.  If you requested your ballot by email, then the ballot should arrive right away.  Mailed ballots will take longer to arrive depending on the postal system in the country where you are located.  Absentee materials include, a ballot, secrecy sleeve (instructions), and a pre-addressed voter’s certificate return envelope. If you receive your voting materials by email or fax, two attachments will be included: your ballot and secrecy sleeve instructions and voter’s certificate. Carefully read and follow the instructions that are included to ensure your vote is counted.  Failure to sign and date the voter’s certificate may result in your ballot not being counted.


What if I Do Not Get a Ballot?

If you do not receive an absentee ballot in time to return it to your state, you can use the FWAB as a backup ballot to vote for federal offices.  If your official absentee ballot arrives after you send in the FWAB, then you can fill out and send in the official ballot as well.  Your state will count only one.


How do I Return My Ballot?

You may return your voted ballot by mail, courier, or fax (overseas voters only).  Overseas voters who do not have access to a fax machine, can email their ballot to [email protected] and FVAP will fax your election materials for you.  Voted ballots returned by email will NOT be counted.  Return the voted ballot so that the Indian River County Supervisor of Elections receives it no later than 7 p.m. on Election Day.


Overseas voters have a 10-day extension in a Presidential Preference Primary or General Election.  Your absentee ballot must be postmarked and dated no later than the date of the election and received by the Elections Office no later than 10 days after Election Day.


Can I Track My Absentee Ballot?

Any voter who requests an absentee ballot can track their Mail Ballot Status to check current and future absentee requests and see when the ballot was sent and received by the Elections Office.  Using the online tool, type in the voter’s information and scroll down to the current or past elections and click “Show My Mail Ballot Information”.

Military / Overseas Voters FAQ 

Additional Resources:

Federal Voting Assistance Program website is fvap.gov

U.S. Election Assistance Commission website is eac.gov


Still Have questions?

Email: [email protected]

Leslie Rossway Swan
Supervisor of Elections
Indian River County

4375 43rd Avenue
Vero Beach, FL 32967

Office: (772) 226-4700
Fax: (772) 770-5367
Spanish Hotline: (833) 347-2763
Hours: M - F, 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM

PLEASE NOTE: Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing. Florida Statute 668.6076